Suntava Purple Corn™ Flaxseed Sourdough Bread Recipe
- 328g bread flour (2 1/2 cups)
- 82g milled flaxseed (2/3 cup)
- 240-300g water (1 - 1 1/4 cups)
- 100g sourdough starter (1/3 cup)
- .625 tsp Suntava Purple Corn™ Extract Powder
- 9g salt (1 1/2 tsp)
Mixing and Gluten Development
- Holding some of the water back, thoroughly mix the ingredients in a bowl. Add the held back water slowly and only if it's needed to incorporate the dry ingredients. Cover and let the dough rest 30 minutes.
- Coil fold the dough several times until it tightens, then let it rest about 30 minutes. Repeat the coil folding and resting 1-2 more times.
- This dough will take longer than most to ferment (12 or so hours at 65F) because of the oil in the flaxseed meal. I stopped the bulk fermentation after the dough had doubled.
Pre-Shape, Bench Rest and Shape
- Scrape the dough out onto a lightly flour countertop and shape it into a ball, seam down. Cover and let it rest for 20-30 minutes.
- Flour the top of the rested dough ball and flip it over. Shape the dough into a boule or batard, place it into the proofing basket seam-side up, and cover.
- Let the dough proof 1-3 hours at room temperature or 10-14 hours in the refrigerator (or a combination of room and refrigerator proofing).
Scoring and Baking
- Preheat your baking vessel 30 minutes at 500F.
- When the oven and dough are ready, flip the dough onto parchment paper, brush it with flour and score it.
- If you want to do a complicated score, trace lines with cooking string across the dough to create sections. Make cuts in the center of the dough and then work your way around section by section.
- Load the dough into the baking vessel, cover and bake:
- 20 minutes at 500F
- 10 minutes at 450F
- Remove the lid and bake for 5-10 more minutes.
- The internal temperature of the bread should be 205F or higher. Let it cool at least an hour before cutting.
Recipe adapted from: breadtopia®