Lentil Stuffed Pastry Wreath
- 1 tbsp (14 mL) olive or vegetable oil
- ½ cup (125 mL) finely chopped onion
- ¾ cup (175 mL) cooked Organic Green Lentils
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) chopped broccoli
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) diced red bell pepper
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) herb cheese spread
- ½ tsp (2 mL) coarse salt
- 2 cans (8 oz/227 g) refrigerated crescent dough
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onion and pepper in oil, for about about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add cooked onions, peppers, lentils and chopped broccoli. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the 16 triangles of dough with narrowest points facing inward and overlap the pieces in a wreath shape, leaving a 4 inch circle in the center. Brush the area where the pieces overlap with egg wash and press down to flatten. Brush both the narrow and wide edges of pastry with egg wash.
- Place about 1 tsp (5 mL) of cheese in the middle of each triangle. Top with a heaping tbsp of lentil vegetable filling on each triangle. Fold the wide edges over filling, then fold the narrow tips over filling. Some filling will be visible. Carefully brush egg wash over pastry. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden. Let rest for 5 minutes before sliding onto a serving platter and slicing into wedges. Garnish with rosemary and other herbs in the middle. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from lentils.org.