Lentil + Black Bean Cheesy Skillet
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 clove of garlic, grated or minced
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked green lentils, rinsed
- 2-3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle powder (optional)
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 15 ounces black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese, I used a Mexican blend
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat on the stove top. When the pan is heated, spray with cooking oil and add in the onion and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, then add in the rice and lentils.
- Add the vegetable stock, stir and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 35-45 minutes, or until the lentils and rice are tender. If there's any excess liquid drain it at this time.
- Season the rice and lentils with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and chipotle powder. Add in the remaining ingredients except 1/4 cup of the cheese. Stir together.
- Heat the mixture until the cheese is melted. Top with the remaining cheese and cover with a lid. Heat on low until the cheese is melted and the mixture is bubbly.
Recipe adapted from Recipe Runner.