- 1 ⅓ cups Organic Whole Wheat Flour
- ¾ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ginger
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cloves
- ½ cup coconut oil, room temperature
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp evaporated cane sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup molasses (blackstrap is not recommended)
- ½ tsp vanilla
Yield: 12 large cookies or 24 smaller cookies
- In a medium sized bowl combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the coconut oil and the sugar. Beat for 1-2 minutes until the mixture is nice and light. Add the water, molasses and vanilla, beat for another 30 seconds to mix thoroughly.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed sugar mixture, beating to combine.
- Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight (or for at least 2 hours).
- Before rolling, let the dough sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Roll the dough directly onto parchment paper. The dough should be ¼" thick. Use cookie cutters to cut out the dough, use a flat spatula to gently remove the excess dough. Keep re-rolling and cutting out the dough you have no remaining dough.
- Pop the unbaked cookies into the freezer to chill for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the cookies are lightly browned around the edges and barely firm in the center.
- Let them cool completely before decorating. Store them in an airtight container.